26 February 2013

I student.

Around 3 minutes ago I experienced a 'system error'.

During my pre-essay-writing mode I wanted to sign a petition addressed to the next meeting of UN Commission on the Status of Women for a resolution to end child marriage, and I encountered this:


Sign this petition:



 


Alright, so the first two lines wouldn't be a problem. The 'Sign!' button, too, is self-explanatory and doesn't need further consideration. But what shoud I make of those two lines in between?

You mean.. the country I live in, am from, or the one I virtually work in/for? And should I put the European-level organization I sort of (though recently barely at all) volunteer for, or the Lebanon-based internationally pretentious one? I mean.. I understand this might be a rather boring monologue-in-head for anyone else but me, yet this, those 7 minutes ago, struck me.

I student. What I do in life is I study, and actually spend way too much time trying to study and dreaming of once being efficient in what and how I do.
My location.. is not. It simply does not matter. In fact, I find the location boring, and sadly I know it's simply because I don't care to make living here any bit more interesting. It is far enough up North to be gray and cloudy for a seemingly endless time. As in the last days the temperature has crept over zero, my daily delight is to wear a bright-colored jacket instead of the already despised winter coat. It gives me a running nose, but it lifts my spirits. It's a fair exchange, and I do not kid you - it is my daily delight.
I work in a rectangular building, with rectangular planning and rectangular windows. Steel and glass, and a graceful amount of wooden panels. A few hundreads of other people, and a million or so of books. Also, I don't actually work... I study, and it does not feel right. Not yet, at least. That feeling of accomplishment, you know? I miss it.

What I have achieved, is that I spend my evenings in the library, and write in a more sophisticated, but borderline lame language. In addition, I'm lost between languages, wishes and all the things I should know but somehow.. don't yet know. We have a whole unit at my study course about Transnationalism and Community. What I've learn from it, aside that academicians are weird people, and that creative approaches better be rooted in actual knowledge, is that in the real life definitions of concepts don't matter. In other words, I am lost and found in transnation.

Before you judge me to be sad and pessimistic for this silence-breaking blog entry.. Don't. Spring will come soon and by then I'll have accomplished something, and I will make better friends with Berlin, too.



No comments: